Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Welcome!

This is a relatively new tool that I am using in my leadership class.  We will be using this to blog back and forth to comment on your ideas and ideas of others in class.  I will use this as a grade toward your reading project in the class.

8 comments:

  1. Introduction/Chapter One:
    By: Kirstie Gallagher
    I was shocked about the differences between Baby Boomers and Generation Me.
    My parents raised me by this motto: "Be yourself and accomplish your dreams." My mom raised me to think independently and don't let people run you over. If someone gets smart, I'll get smart back. My mom encourages me to not let other people opinions hurt me.
    My grandparents react badly when people outside the family know our problems. My Nanny always said, "It's none of their business." My Mom, however, told me talking about your problems helps you emotionally and mentally. I have no difficulty to talk personally with my sister, cousin, or mom. But if its someone else, I won’t even glance at you.
    At school, on the bus, at the park, or in the hallways, I hear young teens using...colorful language that people back then wouldn't even thought of. I have slipped up once or twice in front of my parents and grandparents. My mom shrugged and said, "Watch your mouth in front of your Nanny." My Nanny looked like she was about to have an early death. She has washed my mouth out with soap and water.
    I never thought rudely about people marrying same sex, other-religion, or different races. It was a shame back then.
    A teacher is an important figure we need in our lives. Kids, then, were raised to be respectful toward teachers. This day if you hear a student back talking, it's not unheard of. Other students even laugh about it.
    I really like this book so far. I enjoy the author's witty sarcasm. This isn’t a book that will bore you to death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far I've found this book very interesting. The first thing that really stood out to me was the differences in the way people dressed back then, and how they dress now. The part about how women used to never leave the house without wearing white gloves is just ridiculous to me. Who cares whether or not you're wearing gloves? And men pretty much always wore a suit to work. Now, what you wear is up to you. It's about what makes you feel good about yourself. In previous decades, standing out and being different was not really accepted. You were really just supposed to go with what everyone else was doing. In a way everyone was just kind of a robot. They were all dressing and acting the same exact way. There was no individualism. Nowadays, that's all there is. Everyone is different. Everyone is pushing each other to be yourself and stand out, and just do whatever makes you feel good about yourself. Back in older days, you just didn't do that. People are much more open minded now than they were back then. So far these are a couple of big things that have stood out to me.

    -Dylan Smith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something in this book that I've found pretty interesting, is the level of respect kids had for their elders back then and now. Back then, if you disrespected your authorities, you suffered the consequences. That is if you even disrespected them in the first place, cause it just didn't happen back then. Nowadays, kids are constantly disrespecting their authorities. Teachers, parents, and pretty much every adult are being disrespected by kids. And the kids are getting away with it, and it's just ridiculous. It's crazy how bad some kids disrespect their authorities. Another very interesting thing that I've read is the part about marriage. Nowadays, people marry whoever they want to. It's their own choice, and nobody says anything against who people marry. Back then, every marriage was supposed to be "correct." Whites married whites, blacks married blacks, and just everything like that. You didn't typically marry outside of your race or your religion, and if you did, people treated you differently. People were so closed minded back then, and still are today, just not as much. It's going to be interesting to see how open minded we are in 10-20 years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Dylan, "Who cares if you are wearing white gloves?" NOT ME or anyone else in this generation for that matter. And not being able to be an individual is quite ridiculous. Everyone has their own personal style and if I was stuck in a generation where you couldn't express yourself I would go absolutly insane. No one is the same so why would they all want to dress the same? What were these people thinking? Men wearing suits to work everyday, what is that? Now a days they just wear dress pants and a nice shirt like a polo or something. I just don't understand what these people were thinking.


    -Ciara Sherrod

    ReplyDelete
  5. so far i think this book is really good!peolpe were really different back then they dressed different. men basic wear a suit every day to work i think that would get old real fast. every body was very closed minded about everything. its there way or nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The respect kids have for adults now a days is not very high. In fact kids will tell their elders where to go. Back in the day kids wouldn't even dream of disrespeting adults, much less speak their mind. If they did they would be in some deep crap. To a point I agree but I also believe kids should speak their mind but in a more respectful manner. If an adult pops an attitude the kid should have the right to pop it back, a child/teenager shouldn't be disrespected just like adults shouldn't. The saying is true "treat others the way you want to be treated", that goes for you too adults. If you want respect from kids show it to them. Simple as that.

    -Ciara Sherrod

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't feel very informed by this reading. I am aware at how different the times were and how different the generations are. However, it's interesting to have someone write the truth and pretty much shove it in your face. I'm quite shocked at how many studies have been performed. Was it really necessary? And if so, how much money did we waste on it. Twenge comments on how much harder times are now-a-days, so why would we waste money on a study that is practically black and white. Simply put, times are different.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Commenting on the respect aspect. I was raised to respect my elders, and I've realized over the years that by respecting others, you will receive the same respect back, most of the time. That is why I do respect others, simply being I want to be respected in return. I guess you could say that goes along with the theme that Twenge comments on. Our generation does concentrate on the "me" in life. I am selfish when it comes to being respected, but many other people of my generation are simply selfish. I believe this gives a bad rep to our generation. I also believe that that bad rep makes Twenge very bias. I feel that Twenge's book is very bias in itself and I believe Twenge generally has and issue with GenMe and comments on it thoroughly throughout the book.

    -Paige

    ReplyDelete